The stigma attached to drug use
- Alcohol is the most widely used drug in Australia.
- 37.3% of Australians aged 14 years and over consume alcohol on a weekly basis.
- Around 1 in 5 (18.2%) Australians over 14 drink at levels that put them at risk of alcohol-related harm over their lifetime.
- Around 1 in 6 (15.6%) people aged 12 years or older had consumed 11 or more standard drinks on a single drinking occasion in the past 12 months.
- Alcohol caused more than twice as many deaths (3,494) than road accidents (1,600) in 2014.
- Marijuana has been used for over 5,000 years.
- No one has ever overdosed on marijuana.
- It is less harmful then alcohol and tobacco
- Only 9% of users become clinically dependent